NC-ASTA Scholarship Guidelines:
The North Carolina American String Teachers Association String Education Scholarship
has been established to encourage pre-service string teachers to become professionally active through our state service organization, NC-ASTA. The scholarship will be awarded to one college junior or senior scheduled to student teach in the spring or fall of the following year.
Eligible applicants must play a string instrument and currently be enrolled in a music education program at an accredited North Carolina College or University.
The recipient of this award will receive $500.00 towards tuition to offset the costs incurred during student teaching as well as a one-year student membership to ASTA.
To be eligible for this one-year award, applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. Be scheduled to student teach in the fall or spring of the following school year.
2. Play a string instrument (violin, viola, cello, string bass, harp, or guitar).
3. Be enrolled in a North Carolina College or University music education program.
4. Secure a recommendation letter from a member of the American String Teachers
5. Be a current student member of NC-ASTA.
6. Have a cumulative grade point average of 3.25 or higher (on a 4-point scale).
7. Submit a digital recording (This recording may be of two contrasting selections totaling no more than 15 minutes in length).
8. Complete online Application and submit a two-page essay explaining your philosophy of music education and why string education is important?
All questions & application materials should be emailed to:
Amanda Turner, NC-ASTA scholarship chair – email@example.com
Applications must be received no later than June 1, 2018. Recommendation letters may be submitted with the application, or emailed directly to Mrs. Turner.